When expecting, a lot of parents are too excited to even think about the parenting, which entails raising that child from its infancy stage to adulthood. There is so much to handle when one is expecting, and this is what overwhelms a lot of parents and when the child comes, they are not well prepared to parent. Parenting entails promoting and supporting the growth of that child physically, emotionally, financially, socially and also intellectually. You have to be fully equipped with knowledge and information to be able to raise that child in the right way. Here is a guide that every parent can benefit from:
Help After Birth
You will definitely need help after birth. Having a child can be overwhelming and hectic, and this can be worse if you are all alone, doing things by yourself. Start planning on the kind of help you need and where you can get it. If for instance you will need help with bottle feeding or nursing the baby, there are lactation and feeding specialists you can consult after birth to guide you on this. You can get help from a nurse too, in matters to do with changing the baby, burping and also holding the baby. If you are a first time parent, these are things that you may not know so much about, that is why you need to plan to get help beforehand.
You will need help at home, therefore you can plan with a close relative, or even hire a nurse for your baby in order to get the help you need especially in the first few weeks.
Handling the Baby
First time parents who have not been around babies in the past may not know how to handle babies really well. This is very important to prepare before the baby comes, so that you will not have problems handling your own child. There are a few things you need to know about:
- You need to wash your hands first before handling the baby. The immune system of a new born is not that strong, that is why they are prone to infections. At least use a sanitizer before handling the baby, and ensure that everyone who will carry your baby will always clean their hands first.
- Support the head and the neck of the baby when carrying him. Always be gentle when lifting the child and also when putting them down to bed.
- Never shake your child, whether you are frustrated or just playing with them. This may affect the child’s brain and they could die. Again, you have to handle your child gently at all times.
- Secure the baby well on its carrier, stroller and also the car seat. You have to check a few times to ensure that his head has been done well.
- Note that a new baby is not ready for rough activities. New born babies are very sensitive, therefore treat them that way.
How to Bond With Your Baby
Bonding is the most important aspect of child care that every parent should know about. It should start right after birth, and parents should ensure that they are boding well with their children in the first hours after birth and also in the subsequent days. This is basically establishing a physical closeness to the baby, which is meant to create an intense emotional connection that will be felt by the child for the rest of his life. There are so many ways through which a parent can bond with his child. You can cradle with your baby, stroking him. You can establish a skin to skin connection with your baby. You can massage the baby. Talk, bubble, sing and even coo for your baby.
Preparing for Diapering
This is one of the most important areas in caring for your child. To start with, you will have to decide the kind of diaper you will use on your child, whether the disposable diapers or cloth diapers. You will need diapering supplies too, which should be ready before you start changing the baby. For this, you will need:
- A clean diaper
- Diaper oil to prevent diaper rash
- Fasteners, if you are using cloth diapers
- Some warm water
- Baby wipes, a clean washcloth or just cotton balls
Learn about diaper rash beforehand, and how you can prevent your child from getting a rash. You can ensure that you change your child as frequently as it is necessary, cleaning them well before the new diaper.
It is also good to prepare for a rash, therefore learn what you can do after the rash leaving the baby without a diaper for a few hours in order to allow some fresh air to their bottoms. This relieves the rash faster.