Do you know someone who is expecting a newborn baby? Not sure what would be the best gift to give him or her? Consider some of the options listed below, all of which are certain to be appreciated by any parents who are expecting a newborn baby. There are tons of things that parents need when they have a child, and your help in making sure they have everything they need will surely be greatly appreciated.
This is an essential for new babies, and they can be a lot of fun to buy for new parents. Consider such options as a newborn sleeper. When shopping, think beyond the first few months. While newborn clothes are adorable, babies will often outgrow those small sizes very quickly, so try to purchase clothes in larger sizes. Basics, such as socks, bodysuits, and sleepers, are certain to be appreciated. Other ideas include:
- Undershirts or onesies; a combination of long-sleeve and short-sleeve pieces
- One-piece stretchy sleepers with zippers; new parents love these
- Pants with stretchy elastic waists
- Newborn hats
If you want to buy something that Mom and Dad will be sure to appreciate and put to use right away, diapers are the go-to option. Babies go through many diapers per day, so it’s easy to run out quickly. Wrap up a pack of diapers or put together some diapers with other essentials, such as wipes and diaper rash cream. Be sure to check with the new parents first to find out whether they are going to use disposable diapers or cloth diapers.
Both fun and educational, baby toys are a great gift option for newborns. Look for teething rings and cute rattles. A mobile to hang above the crib is also a great choice that will keep a newborn baby entertained and can even be used as baby grow older. Along with helping develop proper eyesight, a mobile is useful for teaching spatial skills.
Believe it or not, even newborn babies can benefit from books. Research has shown that reading to babies helps their development. In fact, newborns can benefit from audio stimulation when they are read to. Furthermore, hearing Mom and Dad’s voices can help create a bond between a baby and his or her parents. As a baby grows, books can also help him or her develop motor skills and visual associations. Look for board books and soft cloth books.
Mom and Dad are sure to be delighted with a selection of baby bath supplies and accessories. Look for gentle soaps and shampoos designed with baby in mind, as well as sponges, soft washcloths, and hooded towels that will help to keep baby warm after his or her bath.
Still need some inspiration for baby basics that new parents might need? Consider some of the following options:
- Scratch mittens to keep baby from scratching his or her face
- Jackets or cardigans for babies born in the winter or early spring
- Snowsuit or bunting bag for winter baby
- Laundry detergent made especially for babies
- Cotton blankets — Consider having a blanket monogrammed or embroidered with baby’s name to create a personalized gift that new parents will love and treasure as a keepsake for many years to come.
- Receiving blankets
- Bibs and burp cloths
- Breast pump; a great gift for nursing mothers
- Milk storage containers for nursing mothers
- Nursing pillow
- Nursing bras for nursing mothers
- Assortment of different size bottles with nipples
- Bottle brush and nipple brush
- Thermal bottle carrier; great for when parents are traveling
- Waterproof covers for parents who are using cloth diapers
- Diaper pail
- Changing pad
- Essentials, such as wipes, diaper rash cream, baby powder, etc.
- Soft bristled baby hair brush and comb
- Bath time apron for parents — This is a great gift idea for helping to keep parents from getting soaked during bath time. Buy an extra-large apron, and parents can even use it helping to dry baby after he or she is taken from the bath.
- Baby crib and mattress
- Waterproof mattress covers
- Fitted crib sheets
- Car safety seat
- Reclining stroller — This is sure to be a gift that parents will appreciate, as it will help them to be able to get out and run errands without needing to constantly carry baby around.
- Baby essentials, such as nail clippers or scissors, bulb syringe for suctioning mucous, baby thermometer, eye dropper or medicine spoon
- Changing table and changing pad
- Portable changing pad
- Rocking chair — Bedtime is a treasured time between parents and their babies. If you want to present new parents with a gift they will certainly treasure, a comfortable rocking chair is a great option. This is also a great choice for new parents who may not already have a rocking chair, which can be used for any subsequent children they may plan to have.
- Playpen — A playpen is a great way for new parents to be able to get caught up on a few chores around the house while still being able to keep an eye on baby. This gift can be used not only for newborns but also as baby gets a little older.
- Baby sling or baby carrier — New parents are certain to appreciate this gift, as it will help them be able to keep their baby close while still keeping their hands free for doing everything from cooking dinner to grocery shopping.
- Diaper bag — Look for a large, roomy bag with a zippered closure and plenty of pockets for keeping all of those supplies that babies need on the go easily within reach.
- Plastic hangers — New parents will certainly need a large supply of those cute little plastic hangers that are designed specifically for baby clothes.
- Sunshade for car windows — This is a wonderful gift that will help protect a newborn’s delicate skin from harmful UV rays.
- Pacifiers — These get lost easily, so new parents can never have enough pacifiers.
- Baby monitor — Give parents some peace of mind by presenting them with a baby monitor they can use for keeping an eye on baby.
- High chair
- Stationary entertainer, such as a bouncer or Exersaucer